The Privacy Act - Introduction
DJ Motors Pty Ltd ABN 84 009 486 042 ("DJ Motors") respects and upholds your rights under the National Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cwth) ("Privacy Act"). The National Privacy Principles apply to us from their introduction in December 2001.
This policy is intended to cover most personal information handled by us, but it is not exhaustive. If you have any queries about our management of your personal information, you are encouraged to contact us for further information.
How We Collect Personal Information
It may be necessary for us to collect your personal information for a range of reasons.
These reasons may include:
• to meet statutory requirements (eg vehicle registration)
• to forward relevant information (eg service reminder, product recall)
• to assess a claim made by you under a warranty
• to provide vehicle finance and insurance
• to maintain vehicle service records
In some instances, if we do not collect and make use of your personal information, we are unable to do business with you. We collect your personal information directly from you. Collection may take place in a number of ways, such as when you complete an offer to purchase document for the purchase of a motor vehicle or during the course of our relationship with you, such as if you apply for a loan when purchasing a vehicle. Sometimes personal information may be collected about you from other sources. An example of where we may receive personal information about you from another source and why this would happen is:
• a credit reference about you from a credit reporting agency in the course of assessing your application for a loan.
In most cases we will require you to specifically consent to any collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by DJ Motors Pty Ltd. Your consent may be required in writing or we may accept your verbal consent in certain circumstances. Generally it is not possible for us to do business with you unless we have identified you and in some cases the law requires that you identify yourself to us. Wherever it is lawful and practicable to do so, we may offer you the opportunity to deal with us anonymously, such as when making an inquiry about the type of products or services we offer.
Security of Your Personal Information
The information we collect about you will be either stored on our computer systems or in the form of various paper documents created during your relationship with us. We take all reasonable precautions to safeguard your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We employ a number of means to protect your personal information including:
• external and internal premises security;
• restricted access to personal information;
• maintaining technology products to prevent unauthorised computer access;
• regular reviewing and testing of our technology in order to improve the level of security.
Furthermore, when we no longer require your personal information it is our practice to securely destroy the information or delete it from our systems.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use the personal information that we collect so that we can conduct our business of providing a total motoring service to our customers. This service includes:
• fulfilling our ongoing obligations (eg warranty, recall, after hours assistance) to you as the owner/driver of a vehicle that we have sold or serviced;
• responding to any queries or comments that you may submit to us;
• other customer service requirements, direct mail and market research.
At any time you may opt out of receiving any communications from us, other than as required by law or for our primary purpose.
What Personal Information about you does DJ Motors Hold?
DJ Motors may hold the following information about you:
• name, age, address, telephone number(s), occupation;
• e-mail address;
• vehicle purchase date;
• your drivers license number;
• if you are entitled to a GST exemption, your Veterans Affairs file number or other relevant information;
• details of your vehicle(s) including service history & comments;
• any comments recorded in our customer diaries relating to our past, present and/or future relationship with you;
• any additional information you provide, such as when you contact our relationship marketing staff, log into our web site or call us for service or other reasons;
• any financial or other information that you may provide to us in the course of applying for a loan or insurance policy.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
DJ Motors Pty Ltd does not normally disclose your personal information other than in circumstances related to the purchase, service or financing of your vehicle. Sometimes, however, we may be required or authorised by law to disclose your personal information. For example we may disclose your personal information to a Court in response to a subpoena or to the Australian Taxation Office following a direction issued under taxation laws. We may also disclose your personal information where you have consented to us doing so. Your consent to the disclosure of your personal information may be given explicitly, such as in writing or verbally or, may be implied from your conduct, such as if you discuss details of the relationship you have with us publicly with the media.
Generally however we do not disclose your personal information to a party outside DJ Motors Pty Ltd, its related companies and the vehicle manufacturers with whom we have franchise agreements, unless that party is contracted to DJ Motors Pty Ltd to provide services or activities on our behalf and that party is bound by privacy rules similar to those that we follow. Some examples of parties outside DJ Motors Pty Ltd to whom we may disclose your personal information and the reasons for disclosure are:
• We are required by our motor vehicle franchise agreements to provide your personal information to the manufacturer(s) of the vehicle(s) you purchase from us. They may use this information for the purposes of:
• fulfilling their ongoing obligations (eg warranty, recall) to you as the owner/driver of your vehicle;
• responding to any enquiries or comments that you submit to them;
• customer service requirements, direct mail, market research and product development activities;
The motor vehicle manufacturers with whom we currently have franchise agreements are as follows:
Kia Motors Australia Pty Ltd
Mazda Australia Pty Ltd
Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd
Nissan Motor Co (Australia) Pty Ltd
At any time you may notify a vehicle manufacturer that you do not wish to receive further communications (other than those required by law or for the manufacturer's primary purpose).
• Mail service providers for the mailing of service reminders etc;
• External companies providing vehicle finance, if you apply for a loan;
• Insurers for the purposes of insuring your vehicle, if you require insurance.
At any time you may opt out of receiving any communications from other parties, other than as required by law or for their primary purpose.
From time to time we may use your personal information to provide you with information about new vehicles or services. If you do not want to receive any of this information just contact us by any of the means listed under the heading "Contact Information" below. Once you have told us that you no longer wish to receive information about our products and services, we will not send you any further material. You can, however, change your mind about receiving information about our products and services at any time - either way, you just need to let us know.
DJ Motors Pty Ltd does not disclose your personal information to any party outside DJ Motors Pty Ltd for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products or services to you. However, you may receive direct marketing material from the manufacturer of any new vehicle that you purchase from us - see heading "Disclosure of Your Personal Information" above.
Often the law requires us to provide you with certain information about a vehicle that you have purchased from us (eg. product recall). You will continue to receive this type of information from us even if you have decided not to receive information about our products and services generally.
Access to Personal Information
You may request access to personal information we hold about you by contacting the Privacy Officer at the address below. Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will endeavour to provide you with a suitable range of choices as to how access is provided (eg mailing or e-mailing it to you). We may deny a request for access if we are entitled to do so. We also reserve the right to charge a fee for providing access, although lodging a request for access will be free of charge.
If at any time you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request amendment of it, and we will either amend the information or make a record of your comment, as we think appropriate.
Online Privacy - Our Website (www.djmotors.com.au)
In general you can visit the DJ Motors website without telling us who you are. The amount of information that you provide to DJ Motors will depend on the range and number of services that you choose to use. Particular sections of the DJ Motors website may require you to provide DJ Motors with personal information, including your name and e-mail address. Personal information will only be requested if it is necessary to provide a service to you or if it is necessary by law to collect the information.
By using the DJ Motors website you agree that the internet is inherently insecure and that accordingly we can only use our best endeavours to secure your personal information and cannot provide any definitive assurance regarding security of personal information transmitted via the website. Other than liability that cannot be lawfully excluded, DJ Motors will not be liable in any way in relation to any breach of security or any unintended loss or disclosure of that information. Once such information is received by DJ Motors it will be subject to the same security as information received by other means.
You may contact us in the following ways:
• By visiting: 1A Brisbane Street, Hobart, Tas, 7000
• Telephone: 03 6213 3300
• Facsimile: 03 6231 1139
• Post: DJ Motors Pty Ltd GPO Box 479, Hobart, Tas, 7001
• E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I am not satisfied with the response from DJ Motors Pty Ltd?
If you are not satisfied with the result of your complaint to DJ Motors Pty Ltd you can refer your complaint to the Federal Privacy Commissioner:
• Telephone: 1300 363 992
• Post: Director of Complaints
Office of the Federal Privacy Commissioner
GPO Box 5218, Sydney, NSW, 1042